Saturday, May 22, 2010

I want to be a programmer but need portfolio!?

Help! I graduated with a 2.2 in Computer Science several months ago. I don't have any work experience but I am trying to get a job as a Software Engineer or Systems Analyst - basically roles that involve DESIGN and IMPLEMENTATION.





For some reason employers don't want to know me, I guess I'm very average. So I want to create a random portfolio of work that shows I can design + implement a program... stuff that'll impress employers. This is where you guys come in... I need some ideas of what I can program. Anything that would take a full week or 2!





I know how to use Java but want to focus on C++ and SQL which I also know. I've also been exposed to UML 2.0.

I want to be a programmer but need portfolio!?
Why not build a small search engine for a website or a database?





Learn other languages as well why not become familiar with PHP and the zend studio. You can also build web applications like widgets in JavaScript. Get involved with open source software and start to contribute to it as well. Maybe do some jobs on phpbuilder.com or at elance.com


No comments:

Post a Comment